Program: Iowa Legal Aid
Iowa Legal Aid is a nonprofit organization providing critical legal assistance to low-income and vulnerable Iowans who have nowhere else to turn. Along with volunteer lawyers throughout the state, Iowa Legal Aid helps the legal system work for those who cannot afford help with legal issues.
Iowa Legal Aid and volunteer attorneys help the legal system work for those who cannot afford help with legal issues. Typical cases involve problems with basic necessities, fundamental rights or safety, including:
- Protecting victims of domestic violence
- Preventing illegal evictions and unsafe housing
- Securing income support such as SSI, Medicaid and disability benefits
- Preventing consumer fraud and abusive debt collection practices
Iowa Legal Aid is able to help a limited number of low-income Iowans each year. Please contact Iowa Legal Aid for specific eligibility requirements.
- Apply online at Iowalegalaid.org
- Applications available in English and Spanish
- Call the hotline at 800.532.1275
- Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 11:00 am or 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm, except Thursday afternoon
- If age 60 or over call the Legal Hotline for Older Iowans at 800.992.8161
Sliding Scale, No Cost to Participant
Handicap Accessible: Yes
Appointment Needed: Yes